Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Work in progress...although more like fun not work.

I am playing with watercolours again..I find them really difficult but really enjoyable as they are so beautiful to use. I'm doing lots of drawings of different figures from old family photos and vintage postcards...repeating the same drawings over and over. Practice does make the finished drawing better and I can definitely see the difference in each next drawing.(is that goodish grammar?I feel a bit fluey this morning so my grammar brain is slow.) I am doing the same with some flora from around the garden, vines and flowers, leaves, plants..there is lots to choose from..and then they are being combined on backgrounds of old maps.
This picture above is from a vintage postcard of a girl holding a sickle standing in a field. Somebody's personal message on the card says, "Iowa cornfields, gone but not forgotten". Pretty cute.
What I really like also is that I don't have any plan in mind other than the process...no finished anything is in my head. So it really is about doing and having fun and playing and seeing what happens..
The picture above is from a photo of my mum when she was in her late teens and was crowned "Queen of the Ball", hence the crown.
So this is my mum with her crown and a lady from another postcard reading by the light of a lamp..I think the flowers and leaves etc will become a lot more detailed and the figures will be mysteriously hanging around in the background...maybe...

1 comment:

  1. I really like them, they are so soft and beautiful. More photos when you do more! xxx

    ReplyDelete